Update on Molding Sander for Shopsmith

After using the molding sander for my Shopsmith a few times, I realized it needed a little tweaking.  Part I here and Part II are here with my first attempt.  On occasion the sand paper would stop spinning, so I decided to switch to a threaded rod so I could tighten it down even more.

 

It also needed a new way to attach to the Shopsmith.  While I was shopping for parts this spring I bought a Morse taper drill chuck that fits into the tailstock.  Into this I inserrted a bushing the right size for the threaded rod.  It’s not a perfect solution, idealy both ends should spin, but with a little grease, it gets the job done!

 

Now the sanding mop doesn’t stall when it’s moving too fast!  I’ll call that a win!

 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s